A POE is a week-long program designed for teenagers (ages 13-18) who have achieved an intermediate level of keyboard proficiency. Previous organ study is not required. Special consideration with regards to age and training may be allowed by the POE Committee on an individual basis.
- • Meet and connect with other young organists.
- • Study with outstanding professionals and hear them perform throught the week.
• Play and tour organs at Yale University.
• Perform in the final participant recital.
• Visit to the Austin Organs, Inc. factory to see firsthand how organs are designed and built.
- • Play and tour Hartford’s finest organs.
Selected Featured Instruments
- • Trinity College (Hartford), Austin Organs IV/78, 1971/2013 Nicholson II/5, 1992
- • Asylum Hill Congregational (Hartford) Aeolian-Skinner IV/71, 1961/2005
- • St. John’s Episcopal Church (West Hartford) Austin Organs III/64, 1996
- • St. James’s Episcopal Church (West Hartford) Austin Organs III/49, 1962/2018
- • Cathedral of St. Joseph (Hartford) Austin Organs IV/137, 1962
- • Grace Episcopal Church (Hartford) Schoenstein & Co. III/18, 2017
- • Temple Beth Israel (West Hartford) Austin Organs III/44, 1934/1975
- • Yale University (New Haven) E.M. Skinner IV/197, 1928, Taylor & Boody III/48, 2007, Rudolf von Beckerath III/54, 1971
The Hartford POE site is easily accessed from all major interstates and Hartford/Springfield Bradley International Airport. Trinity College, the host venue, offers spacious dormitory housing on its beautiful historic campus. Trinity will also provide a convenient home for teaching, performances and masterclasses at the neo-gothic college Chapel.
Participants will enjoy full breakfasts, as well as catered lunches and dinners from a variety of Hartford area restaurants throughout the week. Transportation to off-campus private lessons, attractions, concerts, and other POE functions is provided. Participants are supervised by teachers and chaperones at all times.
Susan Carroll, Nathaniel Gumbs, Michelle Horsley, Christopher Houlihan, Vaughn Mauren, Benjamin Straley, Natalia Ulyanovsky
This faculty is subject to change without notice.
Registration and Payment
Registration is limited to the first 16 qualified applicants. To register, download the brochure and form here.
• $500 if submitted by April 15, 2020.
• $550 if sumbmitted after April 15, 2020.
• Registration closes on June 15, 2020. Cancellations after July 1, 2020 will not be refunded.
• Please make checks payable to“GHC-AGO” with “Hartford POE 2020” in the memo line. Full payment is due at the time of registration.*