GRANTS FOR INDIVIDUAL PROJECTS
The purpose of the The Marjorie Jolidon Fund is to bring new audiences to the pipe organ, and to deepen appreciation of the instrument in the general public. The Fund was established by a bequest from Marjorie Jolidon (http://www.hartfordago.org/who-was-marjorie-jolidon), and is administered by the Greater Hartford Chapter-American Guild of Organists (GHC-AGO).
Grant requests are encouraged for organ projects, especially those for organ-oriented public outreach, and new projects. Preference goes to projects that:
– demonstrate innovation.
– enable events that would otherwise not take place.
– initiate projects where there is currently little awareness of the musical potential of the organ.
– are hosted by smaller- to mid-size organizations that may not have other project resources.
– have not been funded in past years.
The Fund does not award individual to choral or orchestral projects unless the organ plays a premier role in such a project. The total amount available for grants varies from year to year (as determined by the GHC-AGO Executive Board), and grants to a project are not intended to be continued on an annual basis.
Grants are primarily given to Connecticut projects, with occasional consideration expanded to AGO Region I. A current AGO member must sponsor or co-sponsor the grant proposal. Current Committee members are not eligible to act as a sponsor or co-sponsor.
Grant proposals are submitted to the The Marjorie Jolidon Fund Committee (see link to form at the bottom of the page). The committee reviews applications and makes recommendations to the GHC- AGO Executive Committee for final approval.
Grant applications due March 1 for projects scheduled within September 1 of that year to August 31 of the following year.
Awards are announced by May 1.
Past projects include:
- $5000 – First Prize Albert Schweitzer Organ Festival
- $2000 – Commissioned work by Philip Moore – First Church, Newington
- $1500 – Patriotic Organ Concert – CT College
- $1500 – Organ Recital – South Church, New Britain
- $500 – Organ accompaniment for choral program – St. John’s Church, West Hartford
- $1000 – Organ recital series – St. John’s Church, West Hartford
- $2500 – Concert programs with organ accompaniment – GM Chorale
Previous years’ grants include:
AGO Regional Convention sponsorship
Silent movie accompaniment
AGO Pipe Organ Encounter
Prizes for competitions
Organ accompaniments for choral concerts
Commissioned organ pieces