As all of our in-person events have either been cancelled or changed into “virtual” or online-only events, our chapter is taking this opportunity to return to a single calendar for both local and regional events – with new features to keep our membership and beyond up-to-date in this new normal. Celebrating more than 10 years, the Northeast AGO online calendar “Musi-Cal” (Music Calendar) has recently been updated to note if an event is LIvestreamed and list the Livestream URL.
There are many features in the calendar database, both for concert enthusiast attendees as well as for musicians and venues. Musi-Cal is tailored for musicians and especially organ/choral concerts. In the olden days, people would U.S. mail 3×5 cards with event information to the Newsletter editor for inclusion in the next publication. We’ve come a long way.
Here’s a reminder on how to use the tool, and you’ll find links on the www.hartfordago.org website to make this happen.
LISTING AN EVENT
- SUBMIT CALENDAR EVENT web page allows you to enter all the information about the event: time, place, performers, Livestreaming info, etc. Although the plethora of information fields may be daunting at first, the more important information is toward the top of the page, and the optional details are in the lower half. The more information you provide, the more keywords are included to be able to be searched and found.
- When submitting an event, there are two questions that frequently arise:At the bottom of the submission form, it requests the year of Bach’s death (1750). This is used as a “CAPTCHA” password to have a simple mechanism to “prove” you’re human and not a hacker or robot. This method was chosen rather than having to retype random characters, or click on squares that have fire hydrants in them.
The database allows for a representative thumbnail image (which is resized to fit-within 200x200px) to be shown in many of the web-based listing display formats. The image must already be uploaded on the web somewhere. If you can’t find an existing picture of the organ, performer, or poster, then you can use a free service to upload your custom image and use its URL (web address) as the thumbnail URL entry for the calendar. A link and instructions are provided within the form.
- After submitting the event, you have the option to edit or delete the event in the database. Both the “Thank you” success page as well as the emailed acknowledgement give you a special link that brings you back to the calendar entry form so you can change information (without having to start over). You can also effectively “delete” the calendar listing by clicking the DISABLE radio button. You should keep this email in case you need to make future changes.
- It may seem like a lot of work, but the 5 minutes to type/paste in the information will go a long way to market your event. You’ve worked hard to prepare for the concert, help the public to know about it!
DISPLAYING AND SHARING EVENTS
The calendar listings are shared in many ways:
- On our chapter website (in the home page sidebar summary, and as separate pages for local and regional)
- On nearby regional chapter websites, including Boston and Worcester
- www.Musi-Cal.us website directly, which includes an extensive SEARCH page to narrow down your musical interests
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE EVENTS CALENDAR emailed listings. You choose: the day of the week or month you want to be emailed (ex: first of the month, or every Friday); the span of time you want the listings for (ex: the next 10 days); the types of events (choral, organ, masterclasses, etc.); and the geographic area from which you would like to see listing (ex: within 30 miles of 06105 for Hartford-area listings). This is a particularly good feature to share with parishioners/choir members and your music-loving friends.
Special thanks to Will Sherwood, former dean and longtime member of the Worcester AGO Chapter, for creating, updating, and maintaining this valuable tool.