Jolidon Fund Grants for 2016
In December, the chapter board awarded the following grants from the Marjorie Jolidon Fund for events and projects happening in 2016. A goal of this round of funding was to encourage a new audience for the organ, which is reflected in the interesting variety of projects. Chapter members are encouraged to check out some of the concerts mentioned and let us know how we are doing.
- $4,000 to Springfield (MA) AGO Pipe Organ Encounter, July 10-15.
- $1,500 to The Music Series at South Church for a concert by Joseph Gramley, percussionist and Clive Driskill-Smith, organist on April 10.
- $2,000 to Connecticut Virtuosi Orchestra and Friends of Music at Emanuel(Emanuel Lutheran Church, Manchester) for an organ and orchestra concert featuring two organ concertos with soloist Woosug Kang. May 7 at Emanuel Lutheran and May 8 at South Church, New Britain.
- $2,000 to Albert Schweitzer Organ Festival to sponsor the first place prize in the High School Division. The festival is September 29 to October 2.
- $1,200 to Christa Rakich to commission a new work for organ and cello from Dutch composer Margaretha Christina de Jong.
- $1,500 to Somers Congregational Church for an organ recital/informance by Keith Reas on April 3 or 10.
- $1,500 to Somers Congregational Church for a duo organ recital by Matthias Schmelmer of Berlin, Germany and Dawid Slusarczyk of Wroclaw, Poland in the fall of 2016.
- $1,000 to the New London Chapter AGO to support a second scholarship award for their Roberta Bitgood Scholarship program.
- $700 to St. John’s Episcopal Church, West Hartford for their monthly organ recital series on Sundays at 12:30 pm. January to June.
- $1,000 to St. John’s Episcopal Church, West Hartford for a performance of Rutter’s Requiem with organist Ralph Valentine on May 22.
- $1,350 to the Hartford Chorale to cover the organist’s fees for their performance of Mendelssohn’s Elijah on April 14.